Friday, April 10, 2009

Maple Syrup
From Salena Thomas
I grew up with homemade syrup. It tastes so much better than store bought. I tweaked Mom's recipe a bit and I think this one is perfect. Rich and thick and maple-ie. 100x better than store bought.
So I thought I'd share.

2 c white sugar
1 c brown sugar
1 c water
1/2 c corn syrup
Dash or two of salt
1 tbsp maple extract (more to taste)
Splash vanilla

Mix all except maple and vanilla in saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil and boil til syrup turns clear. It only takes a couple seconds. Remove from heat and add flavorings. I usually buy a microwaveable Hungry Jack syrup every time we move just for the container. Use or dump out the syrup and keep the bottle. The bottle is a perfect size and will keep forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment